Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Marco Rubio, one of our brightest stars proves it again.... or - what a strange world we've become!.

For the December issue of GQ magazine (the 'Gentlemen' in the name of the magazine is misleading) a fella named Hainey interviewed Marco Rubio, a rising star and new face in the GOP. 

The interview went about like you would expect, politics, family, personal life experiences, political experiences and then....... out of the blue --- right after a question about his feelings about his grandfather's  and his father's dignity came this eleventh question:

GQ: How old do you think the Earth (sic) is?

Marco Rubio:  "I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Personally I thought it was a brilliant, extemporaneous response to a weird question. But then I got to wondering --- where the hell did the question come from --  and I saw Liberal M18 Claymore Anti-Personnel Landmine written all over it. (of course the makers of the Claymore mine at least print the words "Front Toward Enemy" across their face)

It was completely out of context, had nothing to do with the previous question nor the following question. To me it was an obvious attempt to get Rubio to make some idiotic, not carefully crafted answer that would either offend the Bible crowd, or insult the beliefs of the elitist scientific crowd.   Either way, Rubio loses and the clever Mr Hainey and GQ salt the audio tape away for 2016 or whenever it would be helpful to their cause...   

Like I said up above - I think Marco Rubio's answer was brilliant - and offended no one. 

If Republican Senator Wannabe's Akins and  Mourdock were half as smart - or half as prepared for the groin-kick questions they were asked - they'd be on their way to the US Senate now instead of back in their home states of Missouri and Indiana.... thinking of what might have been.


No comments: