Monday, September 1, 2014

Some thoughts on Labor Day


Many folks are not aware that Labor Day was created by Unions back in the late 1800's to celebrate the unions and those that labor.  And now --- here we are 130 years later.  A three day weekend celebrated by gob'mint employees, banks, and a few union workers.  A day of intense labor for mattress, automobile and Wally World retail workers. 

I have an old veteran friend who came immediately to mind when I first spotted this editorial cartoon. A second generation American of Polish descent  (I don't use or like hyphenated = Americans), he got his honorable discharge, married his high school sweetheart and settled down in Detroit to live the American dream, 

Then the unions, for no other reason than because they could, began to squeeze and squeeze the auto manufacturers in that great city - until they squoze 'em right out of town!  The factories shut down, the housing values plummeted, the liberal Dim elected city officials kept spending money and raising taxes on the smaller base. Federal regulators piled on as well. 

My friend lost his job, then also did his wife, he couldn't sell his most valued possession - his house - because there were no buyers. They had all left town if they could --  or were equally depressed if they couldn't. 

Detroit is now a rusted broken down shell of what it used to be.  

Do I blame it all on unions --- of course not --- but they and those big spending city officials get the brunt of the blame in my mind..   It wasn't a natural disaster: a hurricane or earthquake that decimated the city like this ....................   and my friends life!

So forgive me if I fly my flag at Half Mast out in front of my house today!! 

Let me leave you with a parting thought --- When WWII broke out - we turned into a tank, jeep, airplane, M1 manufacturing giant overnight! We built the Pentagon, the worlds largest office building, in less than 18 months - and under budget...

What happens when WWIII occurs.... and with the troubled world today - it will! Have no doubt!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Home listings and homes for sale near your area.
Find your perfect property advertised by owner and real estate agent.
More details victorian homes for sale