Wednesday, September 1, 2010

For only the second time in my life, I'm proud of my country....

For only the second time in my adult life, I am not ashamed of my country.

I want to thank the hard-working American people for paying $242, 000, plus additional expenses, for my vacation in Spain . My daughter, Sasha, several long-time family friends, my personal staff, and various guests had a wonderful time. Honestly, you just haven't lived until you have stayed in a $2,500.00 per night suite at a 5-Star luxury hotel. We booked only 70 rooms for our friends, staff, and family. Thank you, also, for the use of Air Force 2 and the 70 Secret Service personnel who tagged along, opening doors, carrying luggage, to be sure that we were safe and cared for at all times.

Air Force 2 used only 47,500 gallons of jet fuel for this trip, and carbon emissions were a mere 1,031 tons of CO2. It costs only $11,500 per hour to operate Air Force 2 (and each additional plane for the other members of our party group). These are only rough estimates, but they are close (who's counting?). That's quite a carbon footprint as my good friend, Al Gore, would say, so we must ask the American citizens to drive smaller, more fuel-efficient cars and drive less, too, so that we can lessen our combined carbon footprint.

I know that times are hard and that millions of you are struggling to put food on the table and trying to make ends meet. I do appreciate your sacrifice and do hope you find work soon. I was really exhausted after Barack took our family on a luxury vacation in Maine a few weeks ago. I just had to get away for a few days. Will write more from Martha's Vineyard , where we will spend our sixth vacation this year with more of our family and friends.

Cordially,

M. Antoinette Obama


(Thanks and a Tip 0' the Stetson to a fellow retired USAF veteran!!!)

No comments: